Enough is Enough

Monday, March 17, 2008 Enough is Enough!

This summer the Olympics are taking place in a country that is assisting genocide in another country AND in their own. I call for a boycott! My small contribution will be to NOT watch the Olympics. I'm not an athlete (good thing or we would surely lose) so I can't refuse to participate that way. I'm not the CEO of a major funding source for the games. What I can and will do is not tune in to any tv coverage, any internet coverage, or any other media coverage of any nation that knowingly kills any group of people with whom that government does not agree. I will tell all my students of my decision and rationale. I will use online tools to tell others of my decision. When the Nazi regime was toppled, it was widely proclaimed, "Never again." But now it is happening at least twice. What are you going to do about it? Technorati Tags: genocide Darfur Tibet Olympics Beijing

My response pending Lisa's approval-

Lisa Durff

That is awesome that you are sticking up for what you view is right, and many people agree with you, myself included! To be honest with you, many people are oblivious to what is going on over in China, besides the Olympic Games. My main question to you is how are you going to bring this up in the classroom? I understand the relevance and why the students should know what is going on, but besides in a history or english class, how do you plan on relating it to the material?

Playing devils advocate, how are you going to deliver this information to the students with out seeming completely bias? I personally agree with you and commend you for your future efforts, but the students have a right to know what is truly going on, which can easily take more then one class period to cover. I am a college student, preparing to teach in a few years and any insight would be great!

Ryan Welbourn

• .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14
  • 15
  • 16
  • 17
  • 18
  • 19
  • 20
  • 21
  • 22
  • 23
  • 24
  • 25
  • 26
  • 27
  • 28
  • 29
  • 30
  • .