Jacci Stier's Blog Response #5

Title: Happy World Maths Day!

URL: https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=33885919&postID=842130120782615425&page=1

Rachel Boyd wrote, "All classes at my school for the past 2 weeks have been participating in trialing Live Mathletics to celebrate World Maths Day (today - 5th March).

It has been a huge success with my class and definitely a favourite. The children have loved having their own log on names and passwords (although with 5 & 6 year olds logging in has proved testing at times)... but mostly they have loved playing against children from other countries.... Spain, Germany, Australia, Hong Kong and the United Kingdom to name just a few.

It has brought out the competitive side in most students and really challenged them to race against the clock to improve their maths basic facts.

In the past few weeks we have had students playing both at home and at school. Marnie in Auckland is my personal Mathletics expert as she has been using the entire programme in her mainly year 2 classroom during 2007. Our decision now is do we want to continue with the programme as a school, or just offer it to families...

Here are some thoughts on Live Mathletics from the 5 & 6 year old in my class.
You can view them on the embedded slideshare below or click here."

My Response:
    This is exactly what I was looking for! I scan educational blogs and read about things such as wiki spaces, twitter, and blogmeister. It's great that internet technology is playing a more active role in students' education but I'm always stuck wondering, "What about math?" How can math be represented the same way group discussions and collaborative thinking are on the internet? This website is the answer! After viewing your slideshow with the student responses as well as watching videos on www.mathletics.com with more student responses it is clear that they enjoy this game and it sparks their interest in learning and that, as current and prospective educators, is all we can ask for.

• .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14
  • 15
  • 16
  • 17
  • 18
  • 19
  • 20
  • 21
  • 22
  • 23
  • 24
  • 25
  • 26
  • 27
  • 28
  • 29
  • 30